Works of art are frequently an integral component of federal buildings; this is particularly true at the United States Post Office and Courthouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This monograph explains the historical background of the art program there, explains its complex social and historical context, and celebrates its importance to the city. This program is relevant to both past and present. After construction was completed in 1934, three artists were commissioned by the Section of Painting and Sculpture, a WPA-like program initiated by the Department of Treasury, to place murals and sculpture in post offices, courthouses and other federal buildings, providing valuable commissions to respected artists and craftsmen during the Great Depression. More recently, contemporary artists have completed new murals that continue the tradition of creating large-scale works to artistically enhance the building’s courtrooms.